You may be here today to learn how to remove shower drain cover. If this is the case—then the article I have prepared is indeed what you’re just looking for. A shower drain cover is essential because it keeps solid compounds like your hair from clogging the drainage system of your home. And the good news is that removing this bathroom fixture isn’t as complicated as it looks.
You can change the shower drain cover in just a few minutes without the necessity of hiring an expert. For today, I will provide guide you on how to remove shower drain cover in just a few simple steps, and hopefully, it will give you the confidence to do it yourself the next time. So without any further ado, let’s begin…
- Different Types of Shower Drain Cover
- Tools You Will Need
- Detailed Steps of How to Remove Shower Drain Cover
Different Types of Shower Drain Cover
First and foremost, we need to discuss the types of shower drain cover first to better understand the mode of repair or maintenance you have to perform—
- Screw-In: this drain cover is popularly for its rounded holes.
- Pop–Up: it has a special mechanism where the water will drain faster if you press the pop-up button in the middle of the drain cover.
- Toe–Touch: it’s another specialized drain cover where you can close the water from draining using a touch-toe rubber stopper.
- Lift–and–Turn: the hallmark of this drain cover is characterized by a small knob on the drain stopper, which is activated by twisting the stopper.
- Flip–It: the water drains when you flip or twist the cap on the drain cover.
- Push/Pull: the water is drained by pulling the stopper instead of twisting it like a flip-it cover.
Now you already knew the most commonly seen types of shower drain covers, before we continue with the steps with how to take off drain cover, it’s important to know the tools you will need for the shower drain cover replacements—
Tools You Will Need
- Philip screwdriver or flathead screwdriver, depending on the type of joint the drain cover is using
- Utility knife
- Spray lubricant
- Needle nose pliers
- Silicone caulk
- Resealable bag or plastic container for holding the screws or joints
Unlike showerheads and other fixtures, there’s no specific standard you have to take note of, even if the topic regards how to remove shower drain cover Australia. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about any customs when you’re replacing your drain cover or attempting to just open it to unclog the pipes.
Detailed Steps of How to Remove Shower Drain Cover
Now that the essential tools are gathered, let’s go over the topic of how to lift shower drain cover and discuss each of them—
- Splash the drain cover with water first to remove any existing debris
- Use a Philip screwdriver or flathead screwdriver, depending on the variety of the drain cover you’re working with, loosening up the joints holding them in place
- Rotate the joints until you’re able to pull them out. And then, keep them in a plastic bag or plastic container so you won’t be able to lose the screws
- If the screws are stuck and you are unable to pull them out, then spray the area with lubricant. Once you have done so, wait for another two minutes before you attempt to loosen up the screws once again
- Afterward, you can try unscrewing the joints once more.
- Gently pry the drain cover and lift them up. Wash and scrape the drain cover for any debris or grime residues.
- Again, it may be difficult to lift them up initially. If this happens, spray the sides of the drain cover with spray lubricant and pry them gently to avoid any accidents.
As you see, the method of removing a drain cover isn’t as complicated as it seems to be. You don’t need the aid of an expert if what you are attempting to do is just to pry open the drain cover. However, unclogging the pipe system inside the drain cover may be a different story. If the clog is manageable, then you should be able to remedy the situation by yourself. However, if the issue is a little bit complicated and you are not sure how to fix it, then that would be the best time to ask for the services of a plumber.
I believe that’s just about it! I hope today’s topic on how to remove shower drain cover has been beneficial to you!
Frequently Asked Questions about How to Remove Shower Drain Cover
Below are some of the common queries about how to open the bathroom drain cover—
If, by any chance that you are working a shower drain cover that doesn’t have any screws, then you have to take note that lifting them up maybe a little tricky. Also, you have to carefully pry them to prevent any damage.
First, you have to identify what type of drain cover you’re working with. For example, if it’s a toe–touch, you can lift them up in a straightforward motion. On the other hand, if it’s a lift–and–turn, you have to pull the covers up first, and you’ll see a set of screws underneath it.
Yes. All shower drain covers are removable. However, the positioning and the process of lifting them up vary depending on the type of drain cover you are working with. Therefore, you have to identify them first before you attempt to open the covers.
Specialized drain covers like a push and pull, a challenging task at first sight. But they’re as simple as the other ones. First, you have to set it in an open position and then lift the stopper knob and rotate it counterclockwise. Afterward, the drain cover should come off free.