Hand shower head vs fixed—which is the better fixture? If you have these concerns in mind, then the article I have prepared for today is especially just for you! Showers were invented in the mid-1700s. And we have seen this particular bathroom fixture progressively develop over the years.
From a fixed shower head, we now have a variety which includes a handheld showerhead, filter shower heads, and rain showerheads, just to name a few of them. With so many types to choose from, it could be difficult to find the best one that suits your specific preferences.
In this article, I will point out the advantages and disadvantages of the two shower heads and help you determine why the other one is better than the other. So without further delays, let’s begin today’s discussion on handheld vs fixed shower head…
Handheld Shower Head
A handheld showerhead is the best option if what you’re after is mobility. You can basically detach them from their mount when you are taking a shower which allows you to effectively rinse your body. Below are additional pointers you have to bear in mind when deciding if the handheld showerhead is indeed the best buy—
The advantages of a handheld showerhead are as follows—
- First and foremost, it is adjustable and suitable for all heights and sizes. You can basically install multiple mounts on your wall that would enable the member of your household to attach them to what shower head height they’re comfortable
- You can also install an extension shower arm whenever you see fit
- The water pressure knob is conveniently placed on the showerhead, which allows you to adjust it any time you need it
- Other models of handheld showerheads offer an additional setting for massage modes
- This type is basically affordable. The cheapest ones range from $10 to $12, while the more premium handheld showers are at least $200.
Now, below are the disadvantages of installing a handheld showerhead in your home—
- You have to take note that not all hose extensions are of the same price
- Handheld showerheads in a lower price range have limited functions
- They are not as durable compared to a wall-mounted or fixed shower head, which would require you to regularly maintain them or replace them whenever it is needed
Fixed Shower Head
In contrast to a handheld showerhead, a wall-mounted or fixed shower head is essentially installed in a predetermined placement on your wall. What this means is that you have to plan for the positioning of the showerhead, which should be 80 inches off the ground, which is also the standard height of a showerhead.
Although a handheld shower head seems to be better, a fixed shower head provides certain benefits that make them more advantageous than the aforementioned. The disadvantages of the fixture will also be explained to help you decide if they’re the ideal shower head for your bathroom—
The following are some of the advantages of a fixed shower head that you have to take note of—
- First and foremost, a fixed shower head is very easy to install
- Generic brands offer durability and tons of features at a very affordable price
- It is cost-effective. You can install them yourself because it’s low-maintenance and has a water-saving capability
- It offers a built-in valve that allows you to adjust water pressure as you wish
- The water sprays are also available in three different spray patterns
- Highly durable which should last at least ten years
Below are the disadvantages of the fixed or wall mounted shower head that I can muster—
- In reality, there are only limited choices of a fixed shower head because it would affect its function once it has been modified in some other way
- A little harder to maintain due to the position of the showerhead
- It’s also challenging to adjust them because you basically have to dismantle and reinstall them again
Why is the Handheld Shower Head Better?
Fixed shower head and handheld shower head have their apparent pros and cons, but a handheld shower head is a lot better in my opinion because it has several advantages over a fixed shower, although the aforementioned is a little more costly than the other. You have to take note that the price for the two isn’t that far enough, and you can still save money if that’s what you’re after.
Anyway, its primary benefit and why a handheld would win in the battle of hand shower vs shower head is the fixture’s mobility. Yes, it is perfect in every way in helping you effectively wash off the germs and soap residue on your body. Also, it is easier to adjust because you can install additional mounts to suit the height of the member of your household or guests.
But of course, the concern with these fixtures is the shower handles if you have an elderly or persons with disability living under your roof. But never worries because of the availability of hand held shower heads for disabled, and it isn’t as expensive as one would think either.
Yes, a handheld shower head is better in comparison to a fixed shower head. However, still have to take the pros and cons of each bathroom fixture into consideration and determine whether they indeed fit the bill and accommodate your every need and preference. I believe we’ve covered sufficient grounds here! I hope today’s topic on the issue of hand shower vs shower head has provided you with the insights you need about the matter.
Frequently Asked Questions about Hand Held Shower Head vs Fixed
Here are some of the commonly asked questions on the subject matter of hand shower vs shower head—
Well, there are two primary things why a lot of households prefer a handheld shower over a wall-mounted showerhead, and that are mobility and better adjustability.
The quick answer is a resounding yes. What basically happens is that you will have to remove the showerhead and existing water pipes that are connected to the main water system. The brand new shower arm is installed in the water system before the handheld showerhead. You have to ensure that everything is properly installed and screwed together to prevent any leakages afterward.