If you’re curious about how to change shower arm, then the article I have prepared for today is especially just for you. Aside from the showerhead, the shower arm is equally as important, in my opinion. This is because they are the ones that bridge the water pipes from the showerhead. Not being able to properly maintain the arms could lead to leakages. It will even result in higher water bills if you are unable to detect the problem right away and remedy it.
Fortunately, changing a shower arm isn’t as complicated as it seems to be. In this article, I will talk more about how to remove shower arm and how to install a shower head extension arm. So without any further ado, let’s begin…
What is a Shower Arm?
A shower arm, popularly known as shower arm extension, is the pipe that connects the showerhead to the water system. It is basically an extension, and you can mount any type of shower head on it as long as the two fixtures fit together perfectly. Also, with the help of the extension, it gives you the ability to either raise or lower the shower headpiece according to your liking.
Things You Will Need
Before I begin discussing how to change shower arm in wall, there are several items and tools that you will need during the duration of the replacement and installation process. There are only several things you have to bear in mind to successfully modify your wall shower arm in your bathroom area, and it includes the following—
- Flathead screwdriver
- Teflon or plumber’s tape
- Monkeywrench or channel lock pliers will do
- Clean rag
- CLR cleaning solution
Unless you’re planning to change the shower head as well, that’s basically the things you will need in the installation of the brand new shower arm.
Install the Shower Arm Step by Step
As I mentioned, the matter of how to change shower arm pipe isn’t difficult. It only requires a little know-how of the process and patience in replacing a new shower arm. But to give you a better perspective of the process, let’s go over the following step-by-step process—
- First and foremost, you have to decide which side of the shower arm you would like to attach. However, if you’re not sure what side would be appropriate, then you can use the package label for instructions.
- Be sure that the bathroom faucet is turned off to ensure that a water spillage wouldn’t occur.
- Next, you have to remove the old Teflon tape. And then, you have properly tape them and wrap the thread clockwise.
- Carefully connect the arm pipe to the water system, and then install the showerhead back.
To make sure that there’s no leakage, turn on the faucet or water system and test if you have properly installed them. In the next section, I will also give you hacks on the subject matter and help you gain a more satisfying experience with your daily grooming routine.
Below are additional tips when changing your shower arm to be certain that you have done the task correctly and problems wouldn’t occur afterward.
- Always detach the showerhead from the shower arm whenever you are replacing one of them.
- If the showerhead is stuck, you can use home solutions such as vinegar to loosen up the two items. All you have to do is to put the vinegar in a bowl and soak the showerhead and shower arm for a few minutes.
- Clean inside the pipes while you’re at it with cleaning solutions and remove the grimes or debris that was stuck in the tube. It’s highly recommended that you use cleaning agents that contain ingredients such as limescale remover or calcium for better results.
- If a wrench isn’t available as of yet, you can actually put the shower arm into the water system pipe into place without it.
- As mentioned, it is important that the placement of the plumber’s tape is in a clockwise position in tightening the seal between the edges of the shower arm and the water system’s pipes. And if you have removed the showerhead, it will also assure you that no potential issues would occur as well.
Regularly checking the condition of your bathroom fixture and properly maintaining them is essential not only to prevent any inconvenience that may come along your way but can also save you money from leakages and other potential concerns. That’s just about it in today’s discussion, on the topic have provided you the information about how to change the shower arm.
Frequently Asked Questions about How to Change Shower Arm
Now, below are some of the common concerns involved in the question on how to change shower arm—
In general, the replacement process of the shower arm should be easy. It only requires you to turn off the water system temporarily if needed and then carefully remove the faulty arm extension. And then, you need to properly install the brand new wall shower arm and ensure that there are no gaps that could lead to leakages.
As I said, you don’t necessarily have to turn off the main water system. Turning off the bathroom is sufficient to stop the flow of water as you are changing the shower arm. But if your home has a centralized water system, then you may really need to turn them off entirely.
Each country has its own plumbing standards in regards to showerheads and arms. What this means is that the shower arm is pretty much universal in the area where you are residing. But to be sure, you can ask you the hardware clerk for assistance and give you detailed information on your concern.