At first sight, the process on how to change a shower head seems to be complex, and only an expert plumber could do it. However, it is not as convoluted one might think. Believe it or not, an average Joe like you and me can manage to change the showerhead whether it’s for repairs or we plainly want to experience the satisfaction of a brand new installation. What most of us don’t realize is that with a little know-how and you can successfully install the fixture yourself at home.
In this article, I will provide you with the information you need on how to change a shower head without the necessity to hire an expert plumber. And I hope today’s discussion will give you the knowledge about how to install a shower head and have the confidence to do it on your own next time.
- Preparation before Installation (Tools and Choice of Shower Heads)
- Installation Guide for Different Shower Heads
Preparation before Installation (Tools and Choice of Shower Heads)
There are several straightforward pointers you have to consider in preparation for changing shower head. I will cover each of them in this section and help you get the essential items needed for the tasks. But first and foremost, you need to have a firm decision on what shower head you’re going to use. There are several types of shower heads, and some of the most common ones are as follows—
- Wall Mounted/Fixed Shower Head
- Rain/Rainfall Shower Head
- High/Low-Pressure Shower Head
- Handheld Shower Head
- Filtered Shower Head
Each showerhead provides different functionality. Thus, the type of shower head you’re supposed to use must be according to your needs and preference, and then budget as well.
As you decide on the replacement shower heads, you have to take note of the basic tools for the job, which include the following—
- Adjustable Wrench
- Wire Brush
You also have to consider other essential materials such as the listings below—
- Plumber’s tape
- Epoxy glue
- Rust remover, if necessary
- Lubricant, if necessary
In the next sections of the article, I will explain the installation process a little further to help you gain information on how to change a shower head properly.
Installation Guide for Different Shower Heads
There is more to the installation than replacing the shower heads with a brand new one. Although anybody can do it in their own household, it may not be as easy as it seems. As mentioned, there are several types of showerheads. Therefore, you have to take note that the installation process of the shower heads varies depending on the type o fixture and what method you’re employing. Below are some of the common processes involved—
How to Change a Shower Head with Hose
The shower head hose is the most common issue many households faces because they’re softer and highly prone to accidents that lead to holes which results in leakage. Such an instance is indeed a problem because it may cause a lower water pressure and your water bill to increase higher. Fortunately, there are things you can do to stop the leakage, and that is changing the showerhead with a hose.
The initial step is to remove the shower head. And while you’re at it, you can clean the shower head arms and remove any grime and debris stuck inside the tube. It will also give you the vantage point to decide if it’s a good time to replace the pipe arm as well. Before going to the shower hose, you have to remove the old thread sealant and apply the brand new plumber’s tape to the shower arm.
Now, the following pointers are the actual replacement method for the shower head hose—
- Before replacing the hose, you have to install the new shower head first and foremost. Be sure to seal everything tightly shut to prevent any leakage.
- Carefully attach the new hose to the shower head and make sure that they’re properly installed.
- And then, dock the shower head and hose to the pipe dock.
- To be sure that they’re working as they should be, turn on the shower and check if there is any leakage. If it’s indeed the case, then you may dismantle them again and redo the entire process until you have perfected it.
It may seem unnerving at first, but everything should be fine and dandy as you gain more experience and confidence doing the same thing over and over again.
How to Change a Hand Held Shower Head
Again, the showerhead replacement varies depending on the type of shower. This also means that the level of difficulty in replacing the fixture depends on the type as well. The hose is the only challenging part of the installation process. I believe there should be no problem at the end if you just follow the simple instructions below—
- Firstly, remove the old showerhead.
- And then, you have to clean the shower head arm and wash off the debris that’s inside the pipe. Make sure that they’re cleaned properly and have no excess grimes.
- Remove the old plumber’s tape and replace a fresh one after the endings of the pipe dry off
- Lastly, install the new handheld showerhead and tightly screw the nuts and bolts into place
- To ensure that they’re properly installed, turn on the shower and check for any leakages.
As you see, the initial process is similar to the one discussed earlier. And everything should work out for you if you already know how to replace the hose.
How to Change a Fixed Shower Head to Handheld
Another factor that many have in mind in replacing their shower heads is to switch from a wall-mounted or fixed shower head to a handheld fixture. Again, it may all look complicated, but you can easily replace them with an entirely new shower head with just a few simple steps—
- Again, the first step of the installation process is similar to the methods previously discussed. This is done by carefully removing the old showerhead.
- Clean the thread with a wire brush and make sure that they’re properly washed and there’s no debris left behind.
- Since it’s an entirely new fixture, you have to remove the mount as well and install a new one.
- And then, install the brand new shower head into place.
- Remove the worn-out plumber’s tape and put a new one. And then seal them with epoxy glue.
- However, to ensure that the showerhead is working properly, you have to check for leakages and apply epoxy if necessary.
The installment process isn’t as complicated as it seems to be. But in any case, an issue occurs with the pipes that you can’t manage or are unable to properly install the fixture, then that’s the best time to call a plumber and try to remedy the situation.
As I repeatedly emphasized all through the article, you have the capability to do it on your own and save money from plumbing services in the process. Well, that’s just about it. I hope today’s topic has helped you gain sufficient knowledge about the installation process of showerheads.
Frequently Asked Questions about How to Change a Shower Head
Now, below are some of the commonly asked questions about how to change a shower head—
Showerheads serve different purposes and functionalities. However, most of them have a universal fitting that is based on the plumbing standards relayed by a particular region. This may be the case—it’s advisable that you still check the areas fitting standards if you are not sure. For example, how to change a shower head Australia may greatly differ from those in the United States and parts of Asia.
It could be a confusing process if you have never replaced or installed a showerhead before. But once you do, you’ll find it to be not as difficult as it purports to be. However, you have to bear in mind that problems with the plumbing and water system are different, and you may have to contact an expert to fix them.