The smokey eye may seem complex at the outset, but with the right tools and some very easy steps, you can rock an impeccable look in a heartbeat. First things first, you need to make sure that you have all the essential tools in your kit to produce your ideal smokey eye effect.
Tools You Need
1. Concealer – Just like your usual makeup routine, a good concealer is vital in making sure that the eye area is smooth enough to provide the best foundation for your smokey eye. This item is your best friend in making sure that there is a layer that could hold the shadow.
2. A Flat Eyeshadow Brush – To achieve the ideal coverage for an eyeshadow base, a flat brush is the most convenient tool to do the trick. This is a crucial element to set out the perfect base color by properly transferring makeup from the palette into your eyelid, which can be done meticulously with the help of a flat brush.
3. A Dome Brush – This item is the key to perfect layering and blending. You don’t want those glaring lines to steal the show (or end it terribly for you), so having a soft dome brush in your kit is extremely significant.
4. An Eyeshadow Palette – This is your basic tool in forging the perfect smokey eye makeup. You can harmonize the right hues with the perfect palette that suits your taste.
5. Eyeliner – Whether a liquid liner or an eye pencil, eyeliner is the formula you need to give your smokey eye a much-recommended accent that will further enhance your look.
6. Eyelash Curler – To complete your perfect smokey eye look, it is best to curl your lashes first before applying mascara for a more dramatic effect.
Now we’re all set! These items will be our primary tools to execute the ideal smokey eye makeup that is perfect for you. Let’s see the steps in achieving that (we’ll stay on the easy lane, don’t worry).
How to Do a Smokey Eye
First, let’s check out the basics on how to do a smokey eye, then we can play around with various smokey eye makeup ideas.
1. For the foundation of your smokey eye makeup, start by creating a smooth base for your shadow. To properly prime your lid, apply concealer all over it to smoothen the area. You can also use a beauty blender, instead of your fingers, to fan out the concealer more effectively.
2. Apply a mid-tone eyeshadow all over the lid. Opt for neutral tints, preferably a matte shade of brown or grey. This would ensure that the crease and highlights complement well with the rest of the shadow.
3. Pick a dark-tone shadow and apply it on the outer parts and then slowly blend it inwards into the center to create a fluid transition between the shades.
4. Lastly, apply a lighter shadow as a highlight on the rim of your dark-tone shadow towards your brow bone. This last touch is going to make sure that the top of the eye by the brows, is light in order to achieve that beautiful gradient aesthetic.
We got the basics down, but there are still a couple more routes we can take to elevate your game and bring out the best smokey eye look you can possibly imagine. Let’s talk about subtle details in carrying out that sultry, striking glam we’re aiming for.
Smokey Eye with Eyeliner
A smokey eye with eyeliner is not really uncommon, yet it can still push your smokey eye makeup allure to a higher level. Before applying your highlights, you can use the dark hue of the liner to add more texture to the lining of your eyes. Now take your eyeliner and draw along your lash lines, and then gently brush the top edge of the lining to smoke out the shade. This gives a gorgeous accent on the overall effect of your smokey eye makeup. With an eyeliner, your smokey eye look is definitely gonna rock, try it and see for yourself!
Smokey Eye Makeup Inspirations
Determining the best smokey eyeshadow for you is certainly important if you want to go with certain styles. Let’s delve into the incredible things we can do with different smokey eyeshadows. Here are some more smokey eye ideas we can explore:
Classic Smokey Eye – before we proceed with the imaginative smokey eye variants, you might want to know that the classic smokey eye is the primary go-to of many people when it comes to handiness. Sure, it may be worn by many celebrities across all of their fancy events, but that’s because the classic smokey eye can go along with different outfits and on different occasions, which means that it is very versatile and reliable. Now let’s check the other styles.
Subtle Smokey Eye – If you’d rather blend in easily than turn necks, the subtle smokey eye is the perfect flair for you. You can effortlessly bring about a subtle smokey eye by mindfully keeping the makeup volume low. Donning earth colors is also a wise choice.
Colorful Smokey Eye – veering away from the typical, a colorful smokey eye can be achieved by using colorful tints that don’t typically appear in your earthy color list like blue, pink, red, purple, or orange, and even yellow. You can try picking a color as your mid-tone shadow, then pick another one as your dark-tone shadow. It’s fun to experiment with, and there are incredible color combinations that might suit your taste.
Black Smokey Eye – the black smokey eye has many similarities with the classic smokey eye, except that this one mainly revolves around darker shades. This style is perfect for formal events and it’s a kind of makeup style that oozes subdued elegance.
Shimmery Smokey Eye – If you want to be different or just a little bit eccentric then the shimmery smokey eye is a good match for you. You can dust some glitters on areas you want to emphasize and properly blend it out using a dome brush. You can also use a shadow that has glitters embedded in the makeup itself and apply that shade accordingly.
We hope these things have helped you decipher the right smokey eye makeup mix that appeals to you. Just remember, if nothing comes to mind, it’s never a drawback to try some new things out, you’ll definitely rock your ideal smokey eye look.
Frequently Asked Questions about Smokey Eye
Here are some of the commonly asked questions about the smokey eye:
One important thing to make sure your smokey eye is glamorous is to pick the right shades that could easily enrich not just the rest of your makeup, but also the rest of your getup.
Smokey Eye is absolutely still a highlight in today’s fashion scene. From expensive galas to sensitive formalities, the smokey eye is still evidently present and does an incredibly fantastic job at boosting a person’s overall look.
Yes! Lipstick is a cool material to experiment with. Take a small pigment, apply it on your lids, then use a brush to smoke it out. You can use different colors to play with combinations. This is a perfect quick fix for unforeseen makeup disasters; lipstick can be your lifesaver.